Egg, Chorizo and Chickpea Breakfast Skillet
You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Arguably even more so when camping. How do you have your eggs? We like ours cooked in a rich tomato sauce with chorizo and toasty bread on the side.
While this one pot hearty meal is a great way to start the day it would also work for an easy camp dinner (and who doesn't love breakfast for dinner!). This dish serves four but can easily be scaled up or down depending on how big your group is.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 chorizo sliced
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- Chilli flakes to taste
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 400g can of chickpeas drained
- 4 free range eggs
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Toasted crusted bread to serve
- Sliced green onions and coriander for garnishing
- Snow Peak Cast Iron Oven for big groups or Snow Peak Combo Dutch Oven for a single serve
- Camper's Mittens or Fireside Gloves
- Snow Peak Titanium Cutlery
- Snow Peak Kitchen Tool Set
- Snow Peak Tableware Set Family or Snow Peak Tableware Set Single
- Heat a cast iron oven or large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil, add the chorizo and sauté for 5 minutes or until golden, remove and set aside.
- Add your onion and garlic and cook for a further 4 minutes or until starting to colour.
- Now add your paprika, chilli flakes, crushed tomatoes and a cup of water. Cook the tomatoes for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add your drained chickpeas and cooked chorizo and cook for a further 15 minutes. The tomato sauce should be loose but not watery. Season with salt and pepper.
- Leave the mixture on a low to medium simmer. Make four impressions with the back of a spoon in the mixture. Crack your eggs in the impressions and partially cover the cast iron oven to cook the eggs to your desired doneness. While the eggs are cooking you can slice the green onions and chop the coriander so they are ready for serving.
Season the eggs with salt and pepper and grate parmesan cheese all over the dish. Add the sliced green onions and coriander mixture and you're done! Eat straight from the skillet or spoon into a bowl and serve with your favourite crusty bread.