Chicken and Rice Soup with Mushroom and Greens
Winter and chicken soup go together hand in hand. This soup is exactly what you want on a cold winter night, whether you’ve pitched in the snow or under the stars as the frost settles. The addition of star anise adds a wintery, warming from the inside flavour. It’s truly good for the soul.
- 1 RSPCA approved free range chicken (jointed into 8 pieces) *see tips
- 1 litre of chicken sock
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup of Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1/4 cup of light soy sauce
- 3 x star anise
- 100g fresh ginger thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic split
- 1 tin of baby corn drained
- 100g of king brown mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of jasmine rice
- 200g of Chinese broccoli or other Asian green vegetable *see tips
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of coriander washed and roughly chopped
- 2 large red chillies thinly sliced
- 1 cup of spring onions thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Snow Peak Cast Iron Oven
- Snow Peak Kitchen Tool Set
- Snow Peak Tableware Bowl L
- Snow Peak Titanium Cutlery
- Wash and joint your chicken into 8 pieces and place the chicken pieces into a cast iron oven or large pot.
- Cover with chicken stock and add salt, cooking wine, light soy sauce, star anise, sliced ginger and garlic.
- Bring to a boil and skim off any impurities that rise to the top.
- Turn the heat down to a medium simmer and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ensure the internal temperature of the drumsticks are cooked to an internal temperature of 75 degrees celsius.
- Add the baby corn, mushrooms and rice. Simmer for a further 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Remove the garlic, check seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Add your Chinese broccoli or Asian green vegetables right before serving to maintain a crunchy texture.
Ladle soup and chicken into bowls and generously sprinkle over all of the garnishes.
Asian greens are always a favourite. Choi sum, bok choy and Gai lan are readily available in supermarkets and green grocers these days. Cabbage, snow peas or kale can be used as extra vegetables or substitutes.
A whole jointed chicken can be substituted by chicken drumsticks. Allow 2 to 3 drum sticks per person, depending on the size of them.
Camp hygiene is paramount in the field, always check see your chicken has been cooked to an internal temperature of 75 degrees celsius.