Dean's Backcountry Fried Rice
After a long day of traversing tributaries, tickling trout and touring big terrain, a simple yet satisfying feed is just what you need. The best part is you can adjust this recipe to perfectly suit how you spend dinner time in the outdoors. So sit back, rest those weary legs and enjoy the ultimate choose your own adventure camp meal.
- Pre cooked brown/white rice (some might call this cheating but it packs well, saves time and browns nicely as there’s less moisture involved compared to freshly cooked rice)
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Salami/chorizo/chicken/pork/beef (salami is ideal as it’s pre cooked and lasts longer for backpacking trips. If you’re car camping with a fridge or cooler then the choice is yours!)
- Buttered mushrooms
Go to town with you own favourite ingredients and additions. If you have the luxury of a 12v fridge or cooler then feel free to add your own personal flare. Leftovers work great too.
- Fried egg
- Snow peas
- Baby prawns
- Spring onion
- Bamboo shoots
- Finely dice up all of your veggies. Add a little cooking oil then brown off the onion first. Add mushrooms and an optional tablespoon of butter. Cook until the smell starts attracting other campers.
- Set onion and mushroom aside and start to brown off the rest of your vegies
- Increase the heat and add your rice to the pan. Stir in 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and 2 tbsp of soy sauce. Keep everything moving so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Now you can add your salami (or chosen protein) and reintroduce your onion and mushrooms
- Continue to stir until your rice is a nice golden brown. It won’t take long as its already cooked.
- That’s it! Serve up to your friends or eat straight from the pan. We won’t tell anyone!